Thursday 7 June 2007

Spirited away from the virtual world

If you're still checking this I'm impressed. I feel like I've been away for a long time. Anyway ...

I am currently in Tumu, Ghana, where I'll be living until August. Since my last blog I've spent time with various SIM missionaries in different villages. "My" missionary just returned from the UK this week, so I'm just settling in with her now. She is a lovely woman, and it has been good getting to know her. Her name is Penny. This morning, we went for a short jog (20 minutes) at 5:30 am to miss the heat. She finished the London marathon this year, so I know she can whip me into shape.

After I left Accra three weeks ago, I travelled to surrounding villages to see the work of SIM missionaries. It is interesting to see the contrast between the city and villlage. While Accra was always bustling, the villages were quite. And even more quiet was the road between the villages. As Sherri and I drove along, we'd not see a single person/car/animal for up to a half an hour. We just bumped along the pot-holed road talking to each other and singing along with her CDs. There were certainly times when I wondered what kind of place I'd be staying in for the next four months.

When we arrived, we were greeted by the friendly watchman at the house and made to feel welcome right away. Neither Sherri nor I knew anything about Tumu, so we biked around learning together. We met the church people and the pastor whom I'll work with. That pastor is from another region of Ghana, so he is learning the language (Sisaali) and the life here in Tumu as well. The first impression of the church was a good one, and I look forward to supporting them. After a week in Tumu, I went Chiana, then Yagaba, then Kubugu, then Bolgatanga, then Chiana, then Tumu. This time was mostly for me to get acquainted with my HIV/AIDS teaching material, Islam, and Sisaala culture and to see what the SIMmers are doing. Penny ("my misisonary") picked my up on Saturday, and I have finally unpacked my suitcases for the first time in a month.

Penny lost no time in getting me started on my work here. I have a language instructor and I am learning Sisaali Tumulung for the next two weeks. I have lessons in the morning, then in the afternoon, I go and try out what I have learned. The watchmen and our neighbours are fun to practise with. They are patient as I stumble through their language. Penny and I are still waiting for the director of Education to return from somewhere so that we can meet to discuss HIV/AIDS teaching in the schools. He should be return this week or next, but time in Ghana is not like time in Canada. I begin teaching adult Sunday School, the weekend after next. There is a lot a teaching material (books and tapes) but it's a matter of coming up with relevant teaching for the congregation, which is mostly grandmothers. Prayers on that are much appreciated. I will have a translator with me, so that adds another thing to any lesson I do. Lastly, I will begin discipling some of the young girls in the church. THe pastor, Pastor Edward, really wants to see the girls become leaders/helpers with the children in order to develop a good children's program.

So, three things (AIDS teaching, Sunday school, discipleship) in a week is plenty, with prep time and all. Visiting neighbours and friends is very important to Ghanaians, so Penny and I spend a lot of time greeting and visiting. Please pray that I can balance my time in order to get things done, but that I am flexible enough to go with the flow of the culture. So far so good (but I haven't started any of these things yet, I am still just preparing as I learn the language).

OK, just two more things, particularly for those who have lived with me. My days here usually begin between 5:30 and 6:00 am and I'm in bed by 10:00 at the latest. I still can't believe my shift in sleeping patterns, but everyone in the town, it seems, is out working by 5:30 am get started before the heat of the day comes. Children arrive at school at 6:00 am and I usually see them wandering back home around 2:00 pm. Lastly, Penny and I have reached an agreement for our time together. She will cook for us and I will clean up the kitchen and dining area for us. This is a sweet deal since she cooks quite well! Our househelp will work Tuesdays and Fridays, so we'll have "local" food once a week. What I've had of the local food so far is good. More on that later, since my time here at the internet cafe is nearly up.

Thank you for your funny/encouraging/strange e-mails and comments. It's always good to hear from home.

Thanks for reading ~*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YOU a) got up before 0530, and b) went for a run???? Man, I feel so left out not getting to experience that! ;)
That is so awesome that you get to work on learning the language, even if it's not the one you spoke so much about. It sounds like you've got a great summer lined up with learning, teaching, growing, and discipling. You may or may not remember, but the IV catch phrase in your 1st year (so you wouldn't remember as you weren't around IV then) was "Learn, teach, grow, reach" - sounds exactly like what you're doing!!! GOOD FOR YOU :D