Monday 24 September 2007

Reflections Part Two

I am very thankful to God that I can look back on my trip with very fond memories. I really enjoyed living in Ghana. People have asked me what the best part of the trip was, and that's very hard to say; there are many highlights. It is a much shorter list to list the things I didn't like.
- Being pursued by random guys, etc
- Not really knowing how to say "no" without be disrespectful
- having to wait a long time for someone when I wasn't expecting to
- Being a spectacle (or feeling like one)
- Not really having a peer group in Tumu

Well, now I feel like I should make a list of some of the things I liked to balance things.
- Mangoes, and any other tropical fruit
- Seeing the work of different missionaries come together (e.g. SIM and Wycliffe)
- Not caring whether whether my skirt and shirt matched or not
- Having people around who would jump at the chance to pray with/for me
- Having Penny cook for me and Florence wash my clothes for me
- Watching Shadrachelle, Meshach, and Abednego doing strange things (Penny's kittens)
- Trying to play games with kids from church (and failing miserably half time)
- The laid back lifestyle (most of the time)
- Work and relationships not being mutually exclusive
- A church leader chasing a chicken out of the church during my Sunday school lesson once (it was really hard not to laugh)
- Walking through the game park for two hours
- The affinity that Ghanaians have for Jamaicans
- ...

Now that I am pretty much settled back into life in Canada, I am concentrating on finishing school, maintaining connections in Ghana, and knowing God more. I am excited about the next few years and the possibilities for when I am finished school (even though I really don't have a clue what I'm excited for).

I am thankful for the opportunity I had to serve God in Ghana and even more thankful for all of you who supported me. We did great things in the name of Jesus in Ghana.

Before I end this post, I just want to mention a current need in Ghana. There has been major flooding in Ghana and other parts of West Africa since I left Tumu. Please pray for that situation.

"Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in Heaven." Matt 18:19 NIV

"May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all." 2 Cor 13:14 NIV

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well my friend,

I am so proud of you!!

Looking forward to hearing from you in person sometime.

Daryl