Saturday 25 August 2007

Last Post

... from Ghana that is. The plan is that I will fly out of Ghana on the morning of the 28th and arrive in Canada minutes before the 29th. I'll go to my parents' place then back home sometime on Labour Day weekend.

Accra has been fun, but I'm ready to leave. The city life is certainly not the place for a small town girl. Tumu would be good, but I am looking forward to going home. I've spent this week visiting friends, riding in trotros (public transport vans)and getting lost in this big city. I thought I knew where the trotro was going, but when I got off, I was not where I wanted to be. I knew I was close, I just had no idea where I was. I had a map, but that is not as helpful as you'd expect because all the streets aren't labelled. Anyway, I didn't panic or anything. I knew the general direction of the shop and started walking. I stopped for directions and nearly an hour later, I found the Art Centre. Fortunately for me, since I was meeting a Ghanaian there, I was still there before him (in Ghana, 11:00 means sometime after 11:00 - hehee).

I have managed to meet up with some of my friends I met in 2000. It's hard to catch up on seven years of life in one day, but we tried. It was good to see them (Aryees, Dzunu, Lamptey) again and hear that they are doing well. Meeting up with them made this week of goodbying much like an emotional roller coaster (another reason that I'm ready to go home).

I have a meeting with SIM Canada on the 30th for debriefing and whatnot. By then I will have gathered my thoughts (I hope) and will be able to write a coherent report on my time in Ghana and post some pictures.

I look forward to seeing most of you Canadians in the next little while. Thanks to all of you for praying with me these last four months.

Thanks for reading ~*

No comments: