Monday 13 August 2007

Thoughts and things

If you've been reading along, you probably have a good idea of what I have been doing here (that is unless I have not written very well). I have had some time to think a bit about all that I experienced, so ...

Living in Tumu was good. Certainly there are many differences between my home in Canada and Penny's house in Tumu, but nothing to sweat really.

I spent my first two weeks in Tumu learning Sisaali, but after the "real work" started, I didn't have as much time just to increase my vocabulary/skills. That was a disadvantage at church because there were many people whom I couldn't speak with beyond greetings and obscure comments about the current goings on. I had a good time at church and with the church people, but I certainly missed the fellowship I have at my home church and WIVCF. My being somewhat antisocial didn't really help with that either. Since it was difficult to really connect with most of the church people, I don't really know how their relationship with God has developed in the last little while; fortunately, God knows. As they grow as individuals, they will grow as a church as well.

I had the opportunity to speak to about 250 students about HIV/AIDS but more importantly about God's love for them. I had a great time with them despite my anxiety about teaching. I have said this before, I am no teacher, but I think God was gracious to me and allowed me to reach people through teaching. I was able to talk to two students individually about God and his purposes for us and I met a few Christian students. I pray that they were encouraged in their faith and gained a deeper understanding of God's idea about sex. Abstinence apart from God doesn't make any sense to me, so I wanted the students to know that it's not just about avoiding HIV.

Thinking long term, I wonder if I can work here in Ghana, and I wonder how I will deal with some of the stresses of life here. This time around I could handle almost anything because I knew it was all temporary (since this is like a break from my real life). What would it be like to be here knowing that this is my real life? It seems I a painting a bleak picture here. That is not my intent; I enjoy my time here. Anyway ... what I had the most difficulty with is relationships (surprise, surprise) given the cultural differences and my personality. This is a relationship-oriented culture, and I am task-oriented person. Ghanaians value politeness/repect more than truth and I value truth more than politeness. When I look at my interaction with people (in ministry, while socializing, while working) I realize that they were huge barriers to me really getting to know people. I wondering if I can ever change and learn to connect with Ghanaians. If I can't can I really come here long term? Is God calling me to a place where I feel like I can't be myself? I am leaning towards yes, but sometimes the voice of logic/fear briefly tips me towards no. I have three more years of school ideally, so in that time, I hope to figure out where I'll be practising when I'm finished. I've been (semi)joking with people, saying that I have a seven year plan for my return to Ghana (as it was seven years ago that I was here last). I need three years to finish school and four years to pay my school debts before coming back to Ghana. One pastor in Tumu says I should make it a three year plan, but I think I am more likely to find a husband (who wants to come to Ghana!) in seven years than in three - hehee.

I just want to say thanks to all of my supporters in Canada, the US and Ghana. I feel like that is not enough, but I'm not sure what else to say right now. (Perhaps this would be better in person.)

Thanks for reading ~*

No comments: