Wednesday 7 March 2007

Prayer Letter

Dear Friends and Family,

Many of you probably know that I traveled to Ghana with a mission's team in 2000. Well, even before I arrived back in Canada, I wanted to return there, but unfortunately, it was just an idea that sat in the back of my mind. I didn't really know how to go about it.

A year ago at my church's missions conference, I was really challenged to actively pursue an opportunity to return to Ghana as a missionary. I was introduced to Doraine Ross, a representative from Serving In Missions (SIM) Canada, and we talked about Christ, Africa, and the life of a missionary. She encouraged me to apply to SIM Canada because there could be an opportunity there for me to use my health care skills and share the gospel of Jesus to Ghanaians. I did some research to find out more about SIM and prayed about the opportunity before me and finally applied five months later.

Last week, I was accepted as a short term associate to serve in two communities in the north of Ghana, Chiana, and Tumu. After four days of training in Toronto, I will be in Ghana from May to August 2007. Under the supervision of SIM missionaries, I will be participating in a wide variety of ministries, including church planting, discipleship, women's medicine, and health teaching for women youth and children. I am really looking forward to this opportunity because I get to use some of my newly acquired nursing skills and get a feel for the life of a career missionary in Ghana.



Ghana is a small country in West Africa with beautiful beaches on the Gulf of Guinea. It is home to 22.4 million people, with the highest density of people along the coast near the capital, Accra. There are many Christians in Ghana, but there are also many Muslims, Animists, and other tribal religious groups. English is the official language, but Ghanaians also speak multiple African languages.

With a language in common, I am excited about this chance to serve the Ghanaians alongside veteran missionaries.God has given me a love for Himself, a desire to serve, and practical skills to be able to work there, and I think this is a great opportunity. There are two ways in which you can support me with this endeavor: by praying for me or donating money and/or small, English Bibles.

The need for prayer goes without saying. Ghanaians like to say gye Nyame which means "except God". Psalm 127:1a says, "Except the LORD builds the house, its builders build in vain." Please pray with me that this trip remains all about God and spreading His gospel and that I don't let my fear of the unknown stop me from doing what I am called to do.

If you want to support me financially, please make cheques payable to SIM Canada and send it to their office at the address below. The budget for this trip is $8052 to cover cost associated with travel, vaccinations, accommodations in country, and administration. I have some funds saved, but I am hoping to raise about 2/3 of the overall cost. Donations of Bibles will be very valuable in sharing the word of God with needy people. Please send any Bibles to me directly.

I look forward to hearing from you. Please feel free to contact me if you want more information. While I am in Ghana, I hope to keep this blog so you can read about my experiences. Thank you.

-----
SIM Canada
10 Huntingdale Blvd
Scarborough, ON M1W 2S5
-----
* Don't forget to put my name on the cheque

Thanks for reading ~*

No comments: